Monday, July 7

CbB: 'Nutoney' French Toast



Saturday breakfast is something I also like my family to look forward to. This is mostly as a result of the guilt I feel having to serve pre-cooked and frozen food all week long. After a long tiring day at work, we get home at about the same time and are all too hungry to wait for kitchen 'serenre' so I just do the needful!

On this particular Saturday though, I was thoroughly tired but still wanted to put up a good show. I had to come up with something quite easy and yet tasty!! I was inspired by my sweet friend, Oby's, 'Nutella' french toast which she served at a breakfast meeting at her church. So working with Honey, Groundnuts and Cashew nuts, I came up with Honey n Nuts french toast!!!! a.k.a 'Nutoney French Toast'.





Ingredients
fresh slices of bread
eggs
milk
butter
cinnamon
honey
groundnuts
cashew nuts

1. I broke my eggs and put them in a bowl. 
2. Next I added milk (I used condensed milk), honey (I was quite generous with the honey) and cinnamon powder (just a pinch) and whisked them all together. 
3. I brought a flat and wide tray (wide enough to fit my 6 slices at a go) and poured my wet mix into it till it filled all the corners. 
4. I crushed the nuts with a food processor (to do this I only used the pulse button 2 or 3 times because I wanted it really rough). 
5. I sprinkled the nuts on the wet mix in the tray then carefully laid my bread slices on it to soak up all the liquid (I flipped it just once after about 2 mins so the other side can soak up too). 
6. I put a frying pan on the heat and  scooped just a little butter onto it (enough to cover the base of the pan like you are about to fry an egg). Don't forget butter burns really quick so ensure that the heat is low.
7.I used a spatula to lift a slice of bread off the tray and onto the frying pan and then sprinkled more nuts on it. I fried each slice of bread separately on low-meduim heat for about 2 minutes on each side. 
8. When I was done, I allowed it to cool a bit on a rack so it doesn't get soggy from the heat when placed on the plate. 

I served Nutoney French Toast with sausages and a bowl of oatmeal!! 

Breakfast that morning felt as good as soul food!! I totally forgot to take enough pictures because my hands were quite busy and then later my mouth became too busy! *shamefaced*





1 comment: